Tuesday, December 27, 2011

First Deer

I have grown up with hunting, I married into hunting, and I have been hunting for years. However, the idea of killing such a beautiful harmless creature wasn't something I felt compelled to do. But, I always understood the butchering process and knew exactly how our meal got there to my dinner plate. I know meat just doesn't appear in the grocery store cooler.

      I didn't get a hunting license until I married. This year with the babies being a little older was the first year I was really able to go out a couple weekends with the husband hunting. And, I actually managed to get my first buck.

      Over the last few years my ideology has changed a bit. I now have a family of my own, and I find my views and instincts with nature constantly evolving. I feel either one has to make a vital choice to live a vegetarian, vegan lifestyle or one must accept the role of the food chain. I fall into the second category.

      I still like to think of life in a bit savage kinda way. It is very important to have an active roll in the food we put on the dinner table. I like knowing where my food comes from and how it was handled. Hunting brings out that savage mentality. It feels quite natural when the senses become so active and heightened as of being in the wild. Every inch of life has it's part in the food chain. It is the raw side of life that adds just yet another tie with nature. I respect that which is natural in all aspects.







No comments:

Post a Comment